Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lately...

* We've been working on our manners around here. I am sick of being bossed around by my 2 and 4-year old. About a week ago I started refusing to do anything that I was asked to do if they didn't use their pleases and thank-you's. It's working!! You should hear the sticky sweetness in Alex's voice lately- love it.
* So maybe we were robbed. A couple of weeks ago Alan had some late-night visitors to the office. They took 13 grand worth of stuff. We were able to watch the entire thing since Alan has surveillance cameras throughout the office. IT SUCKED. But Alan is discouraged by nothing. How does he do it? He was mad for literally 5 minutes. Then he was figuring out how to pull it all together before his huge open house next week. The good news: they didn't touch his computers or his server. What a huge relief that was. Also? He's getting ready to open Curtis Orthodontics Location #2. I'm tired when I think about his life.
* Am I bad mother if my my 4-year old knows every single word to Fergie's "Big girls don't cry?" We had a great duet in the car yesterday, Alex and I.
* Yesterday Alex made an announcement: "Mom, I will not be living with you forever. When I grow-up I am going to be a cowboy. And my job will be to put all of the animals in their pens everyday." I will miss you more than you know, Alex.
* I stabbed myself with a steak knife. Fourteen stitches and a week and a half later, I'm pretty sure I have gangrene. Can you get that from a stab-wound? Did you know that being a mom is a hands-on job?? I am useless without my hands.
* While driving in the car, I was chatting with Alex and called him baby. Will was furious. "He is NOT a baby, I'm da baby Mommy!" Good to know that everyone knows their role in our family.
* We got into an elevator today. A man and his daughter stepped in behind us. The door shut. Will looked up at the man and said, "My mommy is so beautiful." Thank you baby, but can you say awkward??

11 comments:

Mindy Varkevisser said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the robbery. I hope you'll get those guys or at least get your stuff back. Alan thought of everything-surveillance cameras!! Tell him good luck with the open house. That's exciting!! I'm sorry to hear about the stitches! Owee!! Your boys are adorable!! I love your little anecdotes.

Josh said...

I can't believe how out of touch I am with your life!! I'm so sorry! Thank goodness Al is so optimistic! What a great trait to have!!!

I need to see those sweet boys, it's time for a little road trip to Cali!!!

Kristine said...

Robbery and a stab wound?!? When it rains, it pours!... but you guys seem to be pulling it all together perfectly. Hope everything goes well for Alan's open house.

Hammy said...

I had been wondering how things had been going in your life. The explaination makes the scripture you quoted even more poignant. [I've got to stop using big words when I have no spell check.] Glad there are some awfully precious moments mixed in with the I-can't-believe-this-is-happening-to-me moments. Make sure that new location (could he at least wait until the first one's open house is over?) but make sure the new location is in Dallas. WE miss you here!

Juli Chan said...

Wow, you sure do live an "exciting" life,with a robbery and stab wounds. Where is it that you live again? Hey, I am so sorry to hear about the robbery! Hope things go well for the open house:)

Taylor said...

so sad to hear about the robbery -- alan, what did they take?!? and the stitches, what a bummer. your kids are darling -- at least you have your most precious ones safe and sound!

cabrenchley said...

I love the announcement from Alex. What a fun kid!

The Snow Family said...

And you said things were 'fine'???!! What a crazy time for you all. Sorry to hear about the office break-in. And your steak knife incident sounds extremely painful, and very inconvenient when you are a Mom! I agree- you need both hands and then some to keep up with boys!!! Hope you are on the mend.

Lofgrens said...

14 stitches!?!? Oh man...you are impressive for being able to pull through that! And the office break-in! It's so sad that people assume they can take other people's stuff that they work hard for...

Emily Busath Murdock said...

Well, I understand that it's probably hard for you to type well with stitches but may I say--I MISS YOU in blogworld!
Come back and tell me what uber-fun things you've been up to!
:)

Troy and Amber said...

You are by far the funniest person I know. We really need to live closer because Samuel and Alex would be great friends - amazing the similarities. Samuel will be a train conductor, so he can leave whenever he wants to go home and I won't be sad. Good luck with everything!