Monday, October 30, 2006

Pumpkin Everything!


Tonight we had our annual Dinner in a Pumpkin! Alex was especially excited and could hardly stand the hour that it took for dinner to cook. Every few minutes he would ask me "Is our dinner in a pumpkin cooked yet??" Unfortunately Alan didn't make it home in time to have it with us. The plan was to carve our pumpkins and eat pumpkin cookies for family night, but the boys were in bed before Alan even made it home. We still had fun- and we will carve the pumpkins tomorrow, just in time for the big night!!


***Update: I've recieved a bunch of emails asking for this recipe, so here it is! This is nothing fancy at all- in fact, it's anything but fancy! Dinner in a Pumpkin is more for the experience. Alan, who won't eat anything with cream of chicken soup in it usually, will eat this.

DINNER IN A PUMPKIN
1 1/2 c. celery, chopped
1 c. onion, chopped
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tbsp. butter
1 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. soy sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 c. cooked rice
1 med. pumpkin

In skillet, saute celery, onions and mushrooms in butter. Set aside.
Brown ground beef and drain. In bowl, combine vegetables, hamburger,
soy sauce, brown sugar, soup and cooked rice. Mix well. Cut top off
pumpkin. Clean inside well. Spoon hamburger rice mixture into
pumpkin. Replace top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serves 4 to 6.

7 comments:

Hammy said...

So what is it that is actually inside the pumpkin?

Josh said...

If you're going to post pictures of amazing dinners, can you please include the recipe for people like me who would never come up with an idea like that on my own!! That's the cutest thing ever, I really want to do it tonight. I'll call you!

debbie rowley said...

So cute! Looks like Alex did much better with the whole idea this year in comparison to last year!

mindy said...

Very cute! I agree with Lisa, please post the recipes. Please include the sugar cookies & frosting. I know that is a basic, but I haven't found a good one yet.

Jen said...

If you're looking for a FANTASTIC sugar cookie recipe, Christie is the ONLY person to ask. Her cookies are absolutely amazing and I am nothing short of frustrated & sad that I am so far away from them this year! I would kill for one of those cookies right now!!!!

Alan said...

Jen, I wish you were here so I could give these cookies to you! They are killing me. I had 2 for breakfast!!

Catherine M. said...

FABULOUS Christie, why do our men insist on missing out on these moments?