Thursday, August 07, 2008

Another First

Alex let me know yesterday that he wanted to rid the bus. No more of this mom driving me to school stuff. I tried to convince him that he could take the "Mom Bus" but he was having none of it. The bus picks up at 7:57am (crazy! We are usually just rolling out of bed then) and drops off at 4:02pm. It's a LONG day. So I confess that after putting him on the bus with his classmate Avery, I followed the bus to school. I know I sound like a stalker, I sort of felt like one, too. And then I hid in the bushes and watched him get off of the bus and with complete confidence navigate the walkway filled with kids and head towards his classroom like he's been doing it his entire life. When I asked him if he missed me today he said, "Not even a little bit mom." That sort of broke my heart, but I'm also just so happy that he is loving kindergarten.

8 comments:

Amy said...

I love that you followed the bus! ha ha

Erin said...

I'd have followed the bus too! He's a darling kindergartner, and his little girlfriend is adorable too.
I cannot BELIEVE how long school there is for kindergartners! All-day kindergarten would be a bit much for me, but from 8-4 is not just all-day, it's ALL DAY. Even 5th graders don't go that long here. Oh well, if it's all he's known, then he'll acclimate and thrive. I just imagine that you must miss him desperately! I feel for you. It's so hard to let go! Have you read the book, The Kissing Hand? It's darling, and more for the mom than for the kid, if you ask me.

Emily Busath Murdock said...

Oooh, you're giving me a little glimpse into what we'll be doing in a couple weeks...Nate starts kindergarten on the 25th. Crazy, huh! I hope he wants to ride the Mom Bus, because that's what he's gonna get ;)
I just wish our boys were going to the same school, because that would mean that you were HERE instead of THERE. Miss you, sweet friend!

Jen said...

I just wish I were there to follow the bus with you--so entertaining!
I'm so proud of you, Alex!!

Sommer said...

Loving it all... the bus ride by himself, the stalking mom, his hair cut, the outfit & of course the hand holding!
miss that handsome boy!

Mary said...

Oh Christie. So different from our little school three years ago. Remember how little they were? I wonder if Henry will notice if I sit in the back of his classroom?

The Corbridge's said...

What a cute picture of Alex and Avery! I am dreading the day when Devon goes to kindergarten in two weeks. I know that he will love it too, but it is hard on us mom's to let these little guys go for that long 5 days a week! I wish it didn't have to be that long their first year at school :).

Mike'n'Amy said...

I don't even go to the school. We take pictures at home or across the street from the school, where I can remain tearfree and excited...and then Mike takes them off to school while I deal with any further reaction. :)