Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Why, why do I bother?

It's 6pm at the Curtis home. There is no sign of the Doctor. Cell phone is off.
Dinner is done. Boys are starving. Because of significant whining and some tears, we go ahead and sit.

Menu:
tilapia with tomatoes, basil and garlic
tossed salad
watermelon
roasted potatoes
fresh-out-of-the-oven-oatmeal bread

Boy #1 eats: bread and red peppers and cries about the fish.
"Why are you always begging me to eat the food you make?" he asks. Then some tears are shed.
Boy #2 eats: watermelon and tilapia. This child only eats bread if it is a homemade dinner roll.
I have a friend whose child says to her mother, "Whatever you make, is what I'll eat." Where have I gone wrong? I think I've created a couple of picky-eater monsters.

9 comments:

Cardalls said...

I have the same problem. I have no answers. I look forward to seeing others suggestions, because I could use them too!

Mike'n'Amy said...

You know what works for my kids? Hilarious, but they just have to hear that they loved stuff when they were babies. That gets them to try it, and they almost always love it.

Lofgrens said...

You can come cook at my house - we'd all LOVE that meal. Sounds so delicious. I love to cook to, but that was ALOT of work. I'm sorry no one ate it!

The Snow Family said...

Forget the boys and just invite me to dinner... that menu sounds yummy! I'd eat it right up and not whine once! Someday they'll call you from college asking for the recipes! Until then... we keep cooking and wait!

Mark and Maria said...

Christie!! So good to hear from you, man I miss you. I've loved reading your blog and wanted to comment on every post!
Yeah, I dread putting dinner on the table because I know it's going to be a whine fest! I almost count down in my head when it is going to start. I love the nights that they surprise me and actually enjoy it without whining.
I loved your idea about posting their art in the garage!! I have all this art work that they bring home and I don't know where to put it! Thanks for the idea.
And I laughed about Will-Mart! When my Sam was younger and we were going to Sam's Club, he would say, "Mom, are we going to my- club?" You gotta love it!

Sommer said...

Lets just blame it on the Curtis genes. Just made your Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup this week... devine!

Jen said...

Laughing so hard...you are the best mom ever & SUCH an amazing cook. Keep it up, Christie!!

Troy and Amber said...

You can have me over for dinner anytime and I promise I will eat everything!!!

Mindy Varkevisser said...

That dinner sounds divine! I wish I could have come and enjoyed it for you. I know the feeling with picky eaters. Matthew will eat only a select number of items and occasionally will try something new. Don't give up though. I used to hate fish, but my mom made me eat it and now I LOVE it! you're a great mom & wife!!