Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Hike/Hunt

Nana and Papa planned an Easter Hike/Hunt at South Mountain. We all met there this morning and had fun on a short hike up to the egg hunt. Alex was a champ- not a word of complaint, nor did he ask to be carried. Will, on the other hand...not such a fan of hiking just yet. But he was a fan of the donuts- he ate 5.
I find myself becoming more like my own parents every day. I remember going on family hikes various times during my childhood- and I remember thinking to myself, " This is NOT fun. Why does my dad make us do this??" There may have been a time or two that I even said that out loud and maybe some whining and complaining were involved. Today I kept having thoughts that I'm sure my own parents had as they dragged all six of us around on different family adventures. I kept thinking how good it was for my son to be out in the wilderness (okay, so maybe there were some fancy condos that we passed on the hike, but at least we were outside!) and using his little body to climb a really big hill- I wanted him to know that he could do it and we could make it fun. We held hands the whole way and talked all about how it felt to have our heart race from pushing our body to do what we needed it to and how good it felt to be outside in the sun looking at the cactus and rocks and hills and at the top of the hike- we saw the entire city of Phoenix spread out before our eyes. Alex loved it and was such a great sport- I'm so proud of him.

3 comments:

Emily Busath Murdock said...

That looks like so much fun! What great grandparents your boys have--and how neat to live in the same city as family.
We're back in Dallas now--so when are you coming to visit?!
Love you! Happy Easter!

debbie rowley said...

I think it is funny that you said maybe there was some verbal whining regarding the physical effort that had to be exerted on our many family adventures. I will confirm that there was definitely plenty of verbal complaints sister.. :) Glad Alex is learning to love it! Sounds like it was such a fun experience for the whole family. What a cute idea :)

cathy said...

Looks like fun Christie! I know I say this every time, but I really can't believe how big the boys are getting!