Saturday, March 07, 2009

FHE



So sometimes we struggle with Family Home Evening. It's hard to get everything accomplished before bedtime on a normal night but Monday's are especially difficult. We have a pretty rigid bedtime routine: dinner, straight to tub, pj's, teeth-brushed, scriptures/prayers, Will to bed for stories, Alex to Mom and Dad's room for therapy, then quiet reading time, and bed. I'm not flexible with the order of things. I guess I just feel like I know what works and I don't feel like experimenting with other options. Also, my kids are exhausted at the end of the day and so am I. They (and I!) do best if they are in bed, lights out, before 7:30pm. This is impossible on Monday nights. My kids LOVE family home evening. Will makes suggestions at the dinner table EVERY night of what we should do for fhe. I am constantly explaining to him that it's only on Monday night. Anyway, Alex has been suggesting for months (since Christmas) that we make graham cracker cookies for fhe. Every week he suggests it, every week I have an excuse of why we can't do it. And let's be honest, there was no good reason. So I felt like mother of the year last week when we FINALLY made all of his dreams came true and made those cookies for our fhe treat. Why did it take me 2 months to listen? I don't know. I think I need to loosen up a bit.
ps-Will's face in the frosting? Not staged AT ALL.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Since I'm sure that's your homemade frosting, I think I would have put my face into the bowl too. Yum. We'll have to copy you on this one--my kids will love it.

debbie rowley said...

Yum. I love the little things in life that make our kids so happy :)