Saturday, April 04, 2009

Week with the Brenchley's





Caroline called about a month ago with a proposition: I take care of her kids while she goes to Boston/NYC with Paul, and she would return the favor by watching our boys....whenever. I was thrilled, because as many of you know, Alan and I have only ever left both our kids overnight somewhere for more than one night-Once. Last month. When my friend Melinda was nice enough to be on boy duty. I seriously feel incredibly indebted to her for doing that for us. We were beyond overdue for a break from our life with each other. We went to Sedona for 48 hours and I was a different person. Because I can actually be fun and interesting and not-stressed out when I'm not with my kids in our house. Anyway, I was up for the trade. Since they have four kids and a much bigger house we moved in with them and it was so fun and crazy and messy and loud and wild. We got to know their kids so well. There was lots of cousin-bonding and lots of great talks about the details of their lives. They were so great to the boys- Alex and Sam slept in a tent in the basement the whole time and one of favorite memories was listening to Sam read in his "crazy-voice" stories to all of the little kids before bed. It was great and now Alan and I need to get planning--we can finally go away somewhere! Yeah!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I just got back from 9 days of vacation without kids. I was a bit anxious about leaving them for that long, but it turned out that it was refreshing and fun and healthy for me--and my kids were just fine. I hope you enjoy it!

cabrenchley said...

Thank you soooooo much for an incredible job! You are amazing. Just getting six kids to 8 am sacrament meeting alone is a major accomplishment in my book. This kids had so much fun with you. It was fun to see these pictures.

debbie rowley said...

Glad you survived! Looks like you had fun too :)

Erin said...

It must feel great to have such a major babysitting "credit" waiting to be used! Everytime we do a vacation alone (which is less often than we'd like), I think "why don't we do this more?" I hope yours is long and luxurious!