Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I may have too much spare time

Life as a mom is super busy. Most days I feel like I am going non-stop all day long. I totally get that being a stay-at-home mom doesn't necessarily sound hard. When you use that term it sound like someone who stays home all day. Most of my friends who are at-home moms aren't just at home, they are running around in their cars all day trying manage a family and home, often with additional responsibilities such as being a relief society president or some such thing. It's true, there perks to being at home full-time, such as being able to schedule appointments while most people are at work, and there is the occasional nap that you can squeeze in when your children are preoccupied with a video or napping themselves, but that is the exception to the daily routine of most moms I know. Usually during naps we are running around the house like crazy, trying to clean the toilets or do the laundry or manage the finances, or figure out something for dinner etc. Today I found myself with too much spare time. It's not that there weren't other things to be done, because I have a looooong list of "to-do's" that are not crossed off, but today it seemed like a good day to make our frozen taquitos (I love living by Trader Joe's again!!) fancier by making some homemade salsa and guacamole to go with them. Who does that in the middle of the day on a Wednesday? Not me, usually. But a stay-at-home mom has that option. Now tomorrow will be busier, and I created a big mess in the kitchen that I now need to clean up, but I loved watching my boys dip their "rollies" (as Alex calls them) into the red and green sauces as they tried something new tonight. As a stay-at-home mom, I get such satisfaction out of that.

2 comments:

debbie rowley said...

Sis... I have never seen taquitos look so fancy!

The Snow Family said...

Oh how I miss Trader Joes!!! Nice work on those homemade condiments! You even had the tablecloth to go with the theme! I'm so impressed!