Friday, September 15, 2006

Ugh.

I can’t even count how many people have complimented me on my transition to Arizona. So many of my friends have been obviously nervous to ask me how I’m doing, and have acted so relieved to hear my response, We’re doing great! We’re getting settled! Life is busy! All is well! Alan has even said I’m being quote BRAVE, which is a big compliment coming from him.
Well, people, the act is OVER. I’m done being strong, I’m finished acting like I’m enjoying it here. The events of yesterday ruined all of the peace and harmony we’ve been enjoying.
Our landlord offers free pest control service for the first 30 days you are in residence, and I had seen probably 2 spiders since moving in, so I called to make an appointment. The time came, the man arrived, and when I asked him about cockroaches (we did just move here from Texas!) he said, Don’t worry, your house isn’t going to have any problems. He then went outside to spray. Thirty minutes later, when he had yet to resurface, I started getting nervous. It turns out that he was on the front porch doing battle not only with hundreds of crickets, but with multiple black widow nests, oh and also?? With a scorpion. A three inch long, still sitting on my porch because I refuse to clean him up scorpion!! Why do people live here? This is not inhabitable land! There are rocks instead of grass! There are dangerous creatures living around your house! Cactus grows wild! It’s over a hundred degrees on a daily basis! There is nothing beautiful about this place!! I just don’t get it. I’m not sure I ever will get it. Ever. Is this really my life?

2 comments:

Hammy said...

I say just move back home to Dallas.

Josh said...

Christie, ... this is a message coming to you from a west coast native who was transplanted to the east coast (against my will I might add). Although I learned to LOVE the east coast, I feel a need to remind you of a VERY unpleasant aspect of east coast living, ... monster sized spiders and insects. Do you remember the wolf spider? It was practically the size of an adult wolf as far as I was concerned and their hair was longer than mine! And did I mention they jumped??? They were the scariest spiders ever!! What about the oversized ants, mosquitos and lists of other insects, not to mention the abundance of these creatures.

In other words, you're fine to complain about the cactus issue and the heat but NOT the spiders and insects.

Maybe you just need to pay me a little visit to take a breather. :)