Thursday, May 10, 2007

My little boy is growing up



Today at preschool they had a Mother's Day celebration, and while I watched Alex up at the front of the classroom with his friends, it hit me how quickly it's all going by. It's so rare that I get the chance to focus on just him, without the distraction that is his brother Will. I arrived a little early for the program so all of the children were still on the playground having recess. I sat in my car and watched him playing with his friends, and had to resist the physical urge I felt to jump out and go be with him (this was partially because I wanted to tell him to stop harassing the poor little boy that he and Shane were pouring buckets of sand on.... but also because I just wanted to hug him.) He is growing and changing so quickly and I'm realizing more and more that this time in our life is such a brief period. I need to work on savoring each moment.

3 comments:

Josh said...

So cute! I probably shouldn't admit that I totally cried at Annie's preschool Mother's Day celebration today. The songs and the poem on the back of her handprint placemat was all just a little too much for a very pregnant mom to handle.

Erin said...

It does just go so fast, doesn't it? My mom calls this time of parenting very young ones the "Glory Years" and often encourages me to enjoy each day. She loved having teens too, but there's just something about the trust, affection, innocence and dependence of little ones. Thanks for reminding me!

Allison Claire said...

Your pictures turned out so cute! I am glad that we could have some time with our older kids, it was nice not chasing the younger ones around the classroom! :)