Sunday, August 05, 2007

The trains are back...

Shortly after Alex's birthday I had the brilliant idea to pack up the trains. I was sick of them, and oh so sick of listening to Alex obsess about them. He had tons of new toys for distractions, and it seemed like the perfect time. So one night I boxed up all train paraphernalia in our house and hid it at the top of my closet. Next day, boy did not even ask where they were. Day after, not even a word about the trains. I was so excited! I had conquered Thomas! Weeks went by and I really thought I was home-free: we could now be a train-free household. And we were, until I undid it all. While in Utah, someone mentioned the train obsession, and I gleefully told them how, "I made the trains disappear." Right after I made that comment, I glanced at Alex and he was staring at me, totally staring. His eyes were asking "How could you??" Oh, the shame. And so the questions began. The closer we got to coming home the more he was asking where I had "Disappeared the trains" to. I knew the game was over, the jig was up, I had to fold. So when we got home Alan gives Alex this big speech about praying for the things we really need, and how Heavenly Father will help us with all of the problems we have. All of a sudden the 4-year-old who refuses to pray is now praying his little heart out that his trains will reappear. And guess what? They did. Photo of his little hand the first night he was reunited with his beloved friends. I hope I didn't cause him years of therapy where he will be discussing his awful mother who stole his toys. I really do feel so guilty.

3 comments:

debbie rowley said...

I can not believe THOMAS is back! I have to say that is a pretty funny story. Sorry sister. I was happy for you that the Thomas phase was over but I guess it will be over in its own due time.

The Snow Family said...

I don't think trains will ever be gone from my house with all these boys around! You were brave to try! I love that you turned it into a spiritual 'teaching moment'!! At least you made him work for them! :)

Emily Busath Murdock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.