Tuesday, August 01, 2006

My husband is obssesed with Cuba

Things are stressful over here. Alan just got back from a weekend trip to Arizona where he tried to find us a house (did I mention we are moving in less than 2 weeks?!) The part of this that is stressful is that we still don’t have a house lined up. Now he is back in Texas and it’s back to “the writing of the thesis,” which generally means that we will see him a week from Friday, when he graduates, and not at all before. After we picked him up from the airport yesterday, Alex was so excited to see him he could hardly contain himself. On the drive home, Alan would try to say something to me and we would be loudly interrupted by a high-pitched voice from the backseat that would screech “EXCUSE me DADDY, I need to tell you something!!” When we got home and Alan grabbed his bag to head to the clinic, there was even louder protesting that included some yelling, kicking and tears, all of which were resolved after some candy and a Thomas video. We are in survival mode, doing whatever it takes to get through the day.
Why, you ask, is the title of this entry My husband is obsessed with Cuba? Because this morning at 6:45am I was greeted by Alan (who arrived home at 3:13am last night), and this was his good morning comment, “Christie, there is hope for our future! Fidel Castro resigned his power last night!” (As a side note, Alan has a dream of living in Cuba…. I have no further explanation as to WHY this is a dream of his). I can not imagine how he has room in his brain for anything more than what we already have going on: thesis, house hunting, starting a business, potty-training, packing, leaving all of our friends, moving to the DESERT, etc.(granted, Alan is probably only worried about one of those things: thesis). I guess I can chalk this up to the difference between men and women. Oh, and I think I will follow Alan’s lead and listen to the news today. It seems like a great way for me to get outside of my own small life and think about something with greater impact (also- I could use a break from the constant potty-talk around here- our celebration yesterday over Alex #2 in the toilet was way over the top).

1 comments:

Amy said...

I love the title of this post. It's so funny how husbands become fascinated with things. I could easily write a post entitled "My husband is obsessed with avoiding traffic lights" or "My husband is obsessed with finding orange juice on sale." Anyhow, I'm excited for your move. We've dearly missed our friends in Dallas, but it's so exciting to do something new in a cool place. (And Arizona does count as a cool place--just ask anyone who lives there.) BTW how did you get such adorable children?