Thursday, January 04, 2007

The best gift I've ever recieved

Each Christmas Alan's siblings do a gift exchange- we rotate and each family is assigned another family. This year Alan's younger brother Steve and his wife Sommer were assigned our family. Sommer asked what I wanted: I told her a Chick-fil-a gift certificate and I wasn't kidding (we love Chick-fil-a!) On Christmas Eve we exchanged gifts. First each boy opened a gift- a Thomas book/puzzle for Alex (score- he was thrilled) and a cool wooden puzzle for Will. Then they handed us a gift for Alan and I- a Cheesecake Factory gift card with a coupon for a free night of babysitting on them! We were so excited- free babysitting is one of the best gifts ever. At this point I knew they had gone over the limit. They were so generous and we were all excited about our gifts. Then Sommer handed me another present. I felt it and instantly knew what it was. Sommer had finished the second quilt I had started months ago for the boys bunkbeds. I had been working on it at her mom's house (her mother is this amazingly talented seamstress) and it was taking me forever because it was so hard to find the time and it's just hard to accomplish anything while my kids are around. I can not even imagine how much time she spent working on that gift for me- hours and hours I'm sure. I cried and she cried and it was the best, most thoughtful, most giving present I've ever received. (The picture just doesn't do it justice since Alan has our good camera at work--the colors are off etc.) Thank you Sommer! You made my Christmas.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Wow! What a treat!! The beds look great--Savannah can't wait to come & jump on the top bunk!

Josh said...

That's so sweet!!! I cried just reading it!!

The Snow Family said...

That is the ultimate gift to a busy mom.... time! I too had a tear in my eye! The beds look great!