Thursday, December 28, 2006

It's finally cold enough to make soup and bread!

It was cloudy and rainy today and the temperature hit 55 degrees! Finally- winter is here!

Italian Sausage Soup with Tortellini

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 c. coarsely chopped onion
2 gloves of garlic, chopped
5 c. beef broth
2 c. crushed tomatoes
1 c. thinly sliced carrots
1/2 t. basil
1/2 t. oregano
1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 c. sliced zucchini
1 (10oz.) pkg. fresh cheese tortellini
3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
grated parmesan cheese (optional)

Brown sausage in large soup kettle. Drain. Add onion and garlic and saute quickly as sausage continues to cook. Add all other ingredients except tortellini. Bring to boil; reduce heat and cook 40 minutes. Cook tortellini separetly in small saucepan for 6-8 minutes (do not overcook). Drain. Add to soup mixture and simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Serve with Parmesan.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chrsitie,

Thanks for the amazing recipe! I just want to apologize for being the worst friend ever!! I hope you had a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I love you so much!

Alan said...

Lisa, you are so funny! You didn't miss my birthday- we celebrate on JUNE 28! Alan and I have been doing that for years! I love you too.

debbie rowley said...

As Rachel Ray would say "Yummo!"
That recipe sounds delicous. I am on my way to Trader Joes right now to get the ingredients to make it!